With bikini season right around the corner, who doesn't want killer abs? Try these belly-busting exercises combined with a little cardio for maximum results. Perfect abs here you come!
Crunches On An Exercise Ball
- Sit in crunch position on an exercise ball. Make sure it is fully inflated!
- Place both your hands behind your head, with your elbows out to the side. Slowly walk your feet away from the ball until your lower back is positioned comfortably on the ball. Make sure your feet are planted firmly on the ground with your legs are forming a right angle. You are now in the perfect push up position!
- Inhale deeply and on the exhale lift your upper body about 45 degrees and pause at the top. Be sure to pull your abs to your spine. Return to the starting position and do 15-25 reps.
- Start lying on your back with your legs in table top position (hips and knees at right angles). Engage your deep abs to round your lower spine into the floor. Make sure you are not “pooching” your abs, which means you are just working the top layer of abs a definite no-no in Pilates.
- Exhale and lift your upper back off the floor, until the bottom tips of your shoulder blades are just off the floor. Reach your arms toward your feet. Your arms will be about two inches off the floor.
- Pump your arms up and down with a small range of motion, keeping your elbows straight. Inhale for five arm pumps and exhale for five pumps. That completes one set or cycle. Repeat cycle nine more times for a total of 100 pumps.
60 Second Plank
- Position yourself face down on the floor resting on your knees and forearms.
- Push off the floor, raising up off your knees onto your toes and resting mainly on your elbows.
- Contract your abs to prevent your booty from sticking up or sinking.
- Hold for 60 seconds and repeat.
This move is great for targeting your obliques!
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground (pull your abs down to also target your deep abs). Place your hands behind your head, right behind your ears.
- Bring your knees in toward your chest and lift your shoulder blades off the ground.
- Straighten your right leg out to about a 45-degree angle to the ground while turning your upper body to the left, bringing your right elbow toward the left knee. Make sure your rib cage is moving and not just your elbows.
- Now switch sides and do the same motion on the other side to complete one rep (and to create the peddling motion). That completes one set. Do this exercise with slow and controlled motion.
- Do 3 sets of 25.